Memories of Mom, Nov. 28th

Today's memory of Mom is more recent.  I am so thankful that God blessed me with my sweet husband so that I could have this time with my Mom before she left us.  To honor traditions, we had lunch the Friday before our wedding and my husband did not see me again until I met him at the alter.  I spent the evening at my Mom's house preparing the centerpieces for our wedding reception with my cousin.  I would not trade that time for anything in the world!  One thing I recall Mom saying as we were nearing my wedding day was that if I really loved her, I'd have someone else do my hair.  Just a side note here, I had only had 5 other people besides my Mom do anything with my hair over my entire life.  I could not imagine anyone else taking charge of my hair on that day.  We went through several different ideas together and finally settled that my hair should be down.  Little did I know at that point that she knew I had a veil coming that I was not anticipating, Mom loved keeping little things like that a secret.  She teased and curled my hair into submission and then sprayed it with the hopes that it would make it until the end of the reception.  I am not certain that anyone else could have done my hair the way that she did as she had all sorts of knowledge about my hair and it's tendencies.  She also decided that it was necessary for me to wear pantyhose in the middle of the summer, but I digress.  

My wedding day was not like many others that I know as our wedding took place at the historic village, Chestnut Square in McKinney, TX.  I got dressed in The Johnson House, which is where we are when this picture was taken.  Then walked over to The Dulaney House where I hid in the house until it was time to meet my future husband at the alter a/k/a the front porch of the house.  My Mom helped me stay out of his sight since it's bad luck for the groom to see the bride before the wedding.  My daughter also helped me to keep an eye out.  My wedding march took place from the dining room door to the front of the front porch.  Another side note here, there was a farmers market going on that weekend as well, but they were kind enough to steer clear where we needed to be.  Once the ceremony was over and pictures were taken, which were lots of fun, we moved to the reception location, The Bevel House.  My Mom, being who she is, made sure that I greeted each guest.  Although, to be honest, I had to get rid of my shoes not long after arrival to The Bevel House.  I was wearing what I referred to as my "big girl shoes" and they were making my feet hurt.  I do not think that my Mom would have been able to give me up for anyone who might have loved me less.  I am so thankful for that time with my Mom.  I have such fond memories of that day and many days.


Popular posts from this blog

My Favorite Instant Pot Recipe is...Collab

Souptember Collab - Pumpkin Chili